Friday, June 19, 2009

Vermaelen arrives at Arsenal

Vermaelen arrives at Arsenal

Vermaelen: Gunners move

Defender Thomas Vermaelen has completed his move to Arsenal from Ajax for an undisclosed fee.

The Belgium international has penned a long-term contract with the North London outfit and will be hoping to add some much-needed steel to the heart of the Gunners defence.

The 23-year-old, who captained Ajax throughout last season, will primarily be utilised as a centre-half, but can operate at full-back if required.

His capture has delighted Arsene Wenger, with the Frenchman tipping Vermaelen to be a big hit in England.

"Thomas is a great signing for Arsenal Football Club, and we are all delighted that he is joining us," Wenger told the club's official website.

"Thomas is a solid performer with good experience of Champions League and Uefa Cup football and is also a regular with the Belgium national team.

"Thomas is primarily a left-footed centre back, but he's multi-functional and can also play at left back.

"He is strong technically with a positive winner's attitude and I have no doubt his arrival will strengthen our team. Thomas Vermaelen will be a huge asset to Arsenal."

Vermaelen has immediately set his sights on securing silverware having arrived in the Premier League.

He said: "Firstly, I have to say that I'm sad to be leaving Ajax and I would just like to thank everyone for their help and friendship towards me over the past eight years.

"I'm just so happy to be joining Arsenal. This is a great club with a world class manager, high quality players and a fantastic stadium.

"Everything is set up for Arsenal to be very successful for years to come and I joined this club because I know Arsenal will be challenging for trophies.

"I have had a good taste of the Champions League during my time with Ajax and this is something I am looking forward to experiencing again with Arsenal.

"I'm also looking forward to playing in the English Premier League, which for me, is the best league in the world. Also, I just want to assure the Arsenal fans that I will give everything for this club and I hope we can enjoy winning some trophies together next season."


source:skysports.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment