Sunday, May 24, 2009

AGGER: WHY I'LL MISS SAMI SO MUCH



Agger may have had to settle for a place on the bench on occasions due to the evergreen form of our Finnish centre-half, but Liverpool's No.5 is gutted to be losing a man who has helped his career so much.

"I'll be very sad to see Sami Hyypia leave Liverpool. For me he will be a big loss personally, and also a tremendous loss for the football club," Agger told LFC Magazine.

"Of all the players and people at Liverpool who helped me settle into a new team in a new country and a new league championship, he was by far the most important presence. He helped me the most.

"I owe him a lot. He's really great to talk to. As a young defender you have questions and he's so calm and so happy to help wherever he can. He is a natural leader, in a different way maybe to some of the other leaders in our team. But he has been just as important over the course of my time here at the club."

Hyypia could play his last game for Liverpool against Tottenham Hotspur at Anfield today and Agger believes the Reds' loss will be Bayer Leverkusen's gain.

Agger said: "He's been great for this club for 10 years. Now he will go on to be a great player for Bayer Leverkusen. They are signing one of the best defenders still in England in my opinion.

"People like to talk about maybe he doesn't have as much pace as he once did but when you have the intelligence that Sami has you do not need to be quick because there are always ways of compensating for that."

Agger is confident his mentor can continue playing at the high standards he has set himself and impress the German Bundesliga with his ability.

He added: "I wish him success in Germany, but I don't think he needs it. Player like Sami are successful wherever they go."

No comments:

Post a Comment